We love rice bubble treats for party food! They’re affordable, and so easy to make. One batch will make a big stack of sweets that look beautiful on your treat table. They’re extremely easy to decorate, and most importantly they’re quick! Throwing a rainbow themed party? Top with multi-coloured chocolate buttons (like Smarties or M&Ms). Having a Bluey themed celebration? Add blue food colouring to one batch and orange to another. A party for adults? Drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with chopped chocolate bars. The options are endless, but the base recipe is still simple, easy, and quick to make!
We’ve jazzed up our base rice bubble treat recipe into a layer cake that would be perfect for anyone who doesn’t love cake, take it to the next level and replace the buttercream with chocolate ganache!
Burnt Butter Rice Bubble Treat Layer CakeA little bit fancy, seriously delicious, and a super easy way to jazz up your rice bubble (or rice krispie) treats!
Rice Bubble Treat
- 85g salted butter
- 250g white, vanilla marshmallows
- 250g rice bubblesButtercream
- 250g butter, cubed
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Spray a 20cm round cake tin with oil and place in the fridge while you prepare your rice bubble mixture. Cut four circles of baking paper the same size as your tin and leave to one side.
- Add the butter to a heavy based saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter begins to caramelise and brown. Reduce the heat to low and add the marshmallows. Stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted and completely incorporated with the butter. Add the rice bubbles and stir well until evenly mixed through.
- Add a circle of baking paper to the bottom of your cake tin and top with one quarter of the mixture and flatten. Place a circle of baking paper on top of the mixture, and repeat until you’ve created four layers of rice bubble treat in the same cake tin. Place in the fridge while you make the butter cream.
- Cream the butter until smooth and pale. Add the icing sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract and milk.
- Use a French Star piping tip to pipe buttercream around the edges of each layer of rice bubble treat, top with sprinkles and party!Tips: Make this rice bubble treat layer cake even easier and simply melt the marshmallows and butter in a microwave. Place them together in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second bursts. Mix well between each burst until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Mix sprinkles in to the marshmallow and rice bubble mixture to make a fun-fetti rice bubble treat layer cake!